The commercial bus driver and his mate (conductor) who assaulted a police officer at Weija, a suburb of Accra has been granted bail by a Weija Circuit Court.
The court admitted the two to bail to the tune of
10,000 cedis each with two sureties.
Joy News’ Joseph Ackah-Blay reported from court that a team of nine legal practitioners led by Martin Kpebu argued their clients will only remain safe if they are removed from the custody of the police.
They told the court the two had been brutalised by policemen since the court asked that they are kept in the custody of the police till April 1.
Mr Kpebu said the Criminal Investigation Department boss personally took interest in the matter causing the two to be removed to a Bureau of National Investigations facility.
There was no representation by the police or State prosecutors despite the lawyers saying they had served the Attorney General’s office and the police informing them of the application for bail.
Meanwhile, the case has been adjourned to April 1.
Francis Buabeng, 26, and Albert Ansah, 33, were charged with conspiracy to commit crime and causing unlawful damage when they attacked the officer last week.
The charge sheet said the two agreed to act together
with common purpose to assault a public officer causing damage and
It added that the two also unlawfully assaulted Constable Julius Mawuli Ekpe, a public officer while in the execution of his lawful duties at Mallam Junction.
The two were put before the Weija District Court on Monday where they pleaded not guilty to the charges leveled against them.
They have been remanded in police custody until April 1.
Source: |Joy News|Joseph Ackah-Blay