The 22-year-old mason who allegedly strangled a seven-year old girl to death after having sex with her say he was conscious and did not need any medical care to determine his state of mind.

Lucas Agboyie said: “My Lord everything is alright. I am conscious. I don’t want any test to be conducted on my mind.”

According to him since the incident occurred he had been stable in the mind.

When the court presided over by Mr Worlanyo Kotoku asked him whether he knew the deceased mother, Agboyie said he did not know her.

According to him the deceased family should forgive him for the pain he had caused them.

The matter was however adjourned to December 20, following a strike action embarked by State Attorneys in the country.

State Attorneys at the Attorney- General”s Department for the past few weeks have been on strike over poor conditions of service.

The state was to begin committal proceedings to enable Lucas Agboyie to stand trial at the High Court.  

The accused who is being held for murder’s plea had been preserved by the court.

At the last sitting, Mrs Francisca Tete-Mensah, Principal State Attorney prayed for a date to enable the Police deliver by hand a copy of the docket to the Attorney General’s (AG’s) office.

This she said would enable them to put together the Bill of Indictment, summary of evidence and list of exhibits.

Mrs Tete-Mensah recounted that the case docket had not been sent to the AG’s office as the case investigator was sent on another national assignment in the Northern Region.

The Principal State Attorney, however, said on his arrival, the case investigator had promised to deliver the docket by hand instead of through a dispatch rider.

The murder of the victim took place at Kubekro No one, near Atadeka in the Ashaiman Municipality.

The case of prosecution was that the deceased, Ruth Ankomah, was a class one pupil of Meshach Academy School at Zenu, in Ashaiman.

The accused person lives 200 meters away from the deceased’s house. On April 19, last year, at about 0800 hours, the deceased’s mother prepared porridge and gave her GH₵ 20.00 to go and purchase bread at a nearby shop for breakfast.

The Prosecution said having waited for a long time without Ruth’s return; she became alarmed and started searching for her in the area, but to no avail.

Later, an informant told the victim’s mother that he saw the accused person pulling the victim into his metal container. The search team marched to the container but the accused was nowhere to be found.

However, they found the naked body of the victim lying in a supine position on an old student mattress with blood oozing from her nostrils and mouth.

The search team nabbed Agboyie during the search and he confessed to killing the girl after having sex with her.

The Prosecution said the accused, during the interrogation, said he wanted to have sex with the victim but she screamed, hence he strangled her after, which he had sex with her.

The Police, during their visit to the scene, saw bruises on the neck of the deceased, with her vagina swollen, while her pant, sandals and dress were lying beside her.

Agboyie has been remanded into lawful custody.