According to the workers, over 1, 500 workers will be laid off if the government does not review the contract

Aggrieved workers of the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority
(GPHA) have given government a 21-day ultimatum to review the contract awarded
to Meridian Ports and Services (MPS).

According to them, over 1, 500 workers will be laid off if the government does not review the contract with immediately effect.

ALSOREAD: KMA stops Kejetia market traders from reconstructing stores

MPS was established in 2002 as a joint venture between the GPHA and Meridian Port Holdings Limited, which comprised Bollore Group and APM Terminals.

The expansion works began in
October 2016, and the first container berth is expected to be opened by the
beginning of the second quarter of 2019.

Per the contract signed by the erstwhile Mahama administration, MPS will handle 60 percent of stevedoring works, shore handling, storage and delivery of containers. The remaining 40 percent would be handled by the GPHA and other local stevedoring companies.

ALSO READ: Ghanaians hail National Chief Imam for joining Easter Service

An aggrieved worker, Mr Emmanuel Arhin on Adom FM’s morning show, Dwaso Nsem programme Tuesday said it is a recipe for disaster.

He explained that, when MPS commences operations in June, 2019, GPHA and other operators in the Tema Port such as terminal operators, Inland Container Depots, Stevedoring companies and shore handling companies would lose huge revenues which may lead to the collapse of many container-related businesses.

ALSO READ: Video: Surviving disaster: Victim of Achimota building collapse becomes top producer

Mr Arhin, who is also a Chief Steward at GPHA, revealed that the award of the contract to MPS did not go through a competitive bidding process.

He threatened that failure to heed to their call would lead to a shutdown of the port to ensure MPS does not have access to work.

Source: Ghana|Adomonline.com|Adwoa Gyasiwaa Agyeman


Extra! Extra!

Get adomonline.com news delivered right to your inbox.



We will never share your email or spam you.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here