Police at Nsuta near Techiman in the Brong-Ahafo Region shot and killed a-27-year inmate, Abdul Raman Osman, who attempted to run away from the cell last Saturday night.

Three other inmates, suspected to be Fulani herdsmen who were in the cell with the deceased, however, succeeded to run away after they outwitted the only police officer on duty.

The incident happened at 8.10 pm.

According to the police, the four inmates requested for water to flush a water closet toilet, which had no direct water supply because the whole town had been disconnected due to non-payment of water bills.

RELATED: Techiman Nsuta cell break: 1 dead; three Fulani herdsmen on the run

The police officer who was on duty at the time, responded to their request to offer them the water.

But soon as the officer entered the cell, the inmates pushed him down and attempted to escape from the cell.

The inmates were said to have grabbed the officer on duty and attempted to strangle him to death.

In the ensuing melee, three of the inmates fled, while luck eluded Osman, who was said to have masterminded the escape and was shot dead in his attempt to run away.

The police said the bullet hit him at the back, killing him on the spot.

His body has since been deposited at the Techiman Holy Family hospital morgue pending autopsy.

READ: Pastors not supermen; we need bodyguards – Owusu Bempah

Police briefing

The Brong-Ahafo Regional Police Crime Officer, Superintendent Nana Kwaku Duah, who confirmed the incident to Graphic Online, said the regional command had given the police officer who was on duty, a 10-day ultimatum to arrest the three escapees or face the consequence.

“It is a normal practice that when suspects run away from a police cell, the officer on duty is given 10 days to search for the escapees,” he stated.

Supt Nana Duah said the police had commenced an investigation into the matter to unravel circumstances that led to the escape of the three inmates and the killing of Osman.

He said the deceased who was on remand was alleged to have stolen 17 cows, adding that he was granted bail, but was unable to meet his bail conditions.

Supt Nana Duah said calm has since been restored in the community as residents were going on with their normal duties.

Attack on police station

In a related development, some irate youth at Sankore in the Asunafo South District of the region on Sunday attacked the Sankore Police Station and injured two police officers and a civilian.

WATCH: VIDEO: NPP’s Kandahar boys attack CEO of Tamale Hospital

One of the police officers was treated and discharged while his colleague and the civilian are still receiving treatment at the Sankore Health Centre.

Supt Nana Duah explained that the police arrested one Kwaku Mankugi who had been declared wanted, adding that in the course of the arrest, friends of the suspect attacked the police officer, who managed to send the suspect to the police station at Sankore.

He said the youth later mobilised to attack the station in an attempt to free Mankugi who was in police custody.