A mother of three died instantly while eight others were injured after an alleged out of control Ford Caravan hit them Wednesday afternoon in Accra.

The incident happened at the National Guard Unit (formerly Airport Mobile Police Barracks) near 37.

Some of the injuries were deemed life-threatening by the police.

READ: Police boss dies during marathon sex with side chick in his office

The deceased, Selena Twum Ampofo, 39, a “chop bar” operator met her untimely death when the speeding Ford Caravan minibus rammed into her in her hut where she sells.

The eight other victims who sustained various degrees of injuries were sent to the Police and 37 Military hospitals for medical attention.

The driver, 37-year-old Paul Agbedor, according to eyewitnesses, had knocked down a pedestrian with his Ford with registration number GN 3888-15 near the Max Mart Super Market and attempted to escape by racing down any available route but left a trail of chaos.

Police account

However, the Airport Police Commander, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Augustine Akrofi told Graphic Online that at about 12:30 p.m., Wednesday, the police received information that there was an accident at the Airport Mobile Police Barracks, now National Guard Unit.

MORE: Rev Obofuor gifts Wayoosi a new 4×4 car [Video]

He said he quickly dispatched an investigator to the scene and pointed out that on reaching the accident scene, the police found the Ford Caravan at the chop bar where the deceased was working.

Mr. Akrofi said all the victims were quickly rushed to the police hospital for medical care, but the deceased was pronounced dead on arrival.

He said during interrogation, the driver said while driving from the nearby Opeibea intersection towards 37, he realised his engine was revving higher than normal.

According to Mr. Akrofi, the driver explained that in order to prevent ramming his vehicle into others, he veered off into the central reservation while still heading towards 37.

Mr. Akrofi further explained that those who saw him (driver) testified to the police that the vehicle was moving very fast, forcing drivers who saw him to “give way”.

According to him, the driver managed to drive up to the entrance of the Max Mart Super Market, turned left and drove towards the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Authority (DVLA) offices.

The speed, however, kept increasing and all efforts to stop the vehicle proved futile. He ended up ramming a Toyota saloon car with registration number, GC 2137-12.

MORE: NDC General Secretary race: Yaw Boateng Gyan wishes one person would step down [Audio]

After hitting the saloon car, the Ford continued at a high speed, entered the chop bar near the Airport Mobile Police Barracks where it hit the operator and injured eight others.

According to him, those who saw the vehicle at the Airport Mobile Police Barracks saw a lot of smoke emitting from it and the tyres screeching.

Near-victim’s account

A trader who narrowly escaped the accident unhurt, Akosua Brema said she was stirring her beans on fire near the chop bar when she saw the speeding vehicle heading her direction.

She said in her confusion, she quickly took to her heels and realised the vehicle had just entered the shop, killing the owner and also injuring a child who had come to buy beans.

She said other people, including a seven-year-old boy, sustained life-threatening injuries.

She added that the deceased had three children.

READ: Parents arrested after teen son dies during 40 days fasting


DSP Augustine Akrofi admonished drivers of automatic vehicles to quickly engage neutral anytime they experience abnormal engine revving in order not to cause harm to lives and property. For drivers of manual vehicles, he said when they experience engine revving, they should go on the brakes, release the clutch for the engine to go off and thus stop the vehicle.