Fire has swept through a five-bedroom self contained house at Berekum New Market in the Bono region, destroying the entire building.

The fire, which started around 7:00 am yesterday, February 5, 2020, destroyed property worth thousands of cedis while displacing its occupants.

It took the timely intervention of Berekum youth to quench the fire and prevent it from extending to other neighboring houses.

Reports indicate the Nsuatre Ghana National Fire Service was on the scene to act in place of the Berekum Municipal Fire Service which vehicle had developed a fault about six months ago.


It took the youth and people living around several hours to douse the fire but could not savage personal belongings and household appliances in the building due to failure of the Berekum fire tender.

An eyewitness giving his account on Adom News claimed if the Berekum fire tender had arrived on time, the fire would have been controlled and some properties might have been preserved.

However, the assemblyman for the Berekum Continental area, Boakye Gideon, also commended the youth in the area for their timely intervention.

He, therefore, pleaded with the government to replace the faulty fire tender in Berekum to prevent a re-occurrence of such a situation.