One of the five suspects arrested in connection with the murder of Captain Maxwell Mahama, sustained a gunshot wound during the lynching that resulted in the Army officer’s death at Denkyira-Obuasi. Captain Mahama apparently fired off a shot during a struggle before being killed by his attackers on Monday morning.

It was widely reported that Captain Mahama was armed, whilst on his morning jog.

Revealing this bit of information after a press briefing in Cape Coast on Wednesday, the Central Regional Minister, Kwamena Duncan, said the wounded suspect was left in Diaso for medical attention under the watch of security personnel.

He told Citi News that “the information I have is that, this person, I am sure even knew the officer and came around with a motorbike. The reasonable thing for him to do was to whisk him away since he knew he [Captain Mahama] was a military officer.

Unfortunately, he also attempted to disarm the military officer and in the process, I am sure there was the accidental firing of a shot and that is what happened.” Mr. Duncan, during the briefing, noted that the suspect “was affected by a gunshot. He had a gunshot wound.

In order that that would not become a problem for the commander, he decided that some medical attention is given to him [the suspect] and when he is in a good state, he will be transported here to Cape Coast.”

On the course of the investigations so far, Mr. Duncan assured that Central Regional Police Command was up to the task of finding the murders of Captain Mahama. “We have made progress and we can assure the entire country that so far, by the leadership provided by the Regional Commander and his men, I have no doubt in our minds that they will get to the bottom of this matter.”

“We wish also to tell the entire country that this is a matter that will not in any way be covered up and we dare not.

The police have promised that they go through the full investigation process to establish a serious and a clear case against those who were involved in this.”

The other four suspects are being held at the Bakaano Police station, and the Mr. Duncan said they may be arraigned “by the end of today [Wednesday] or tomorrow [Thursday].”