The Lower Manya Krobo Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), Simon Kweku Tetteh, has been charged by the Eastern Regional Minister, Eric Kwakye Darfuor, to foot the bills of the victims who sustained severe injuries when residents of Odumase Krobo in the Eastern region clashed with police over a mass disconnection exercise.
The residents allegedly blocked the town road to prevent the Power Distribution Services (PDS) officers who were being escorted by police officers to switch off the main transformer that supplies power to the town.
They allegedly pelted them with stones and smashed the windscreen of a pickup vehicle belonging to the PDS.
Speaking on the development on Adom FM’s morning show ‘Dwaso Nsem‘ Friday, Deputy Eastern Regional Minister, Samuel Nuertey Aryeetey said the Lower Manya Krobo MCE will take care of the hospital bills.
He said after the stakeholder meeting on Thursday, the Minister decided that the MCE pays the hospital bills of the victims.
Mr Aryeetey said a visit to the hospital confirmed six people were injured but three had been discharged with the other two in critical conditions and to be transferred to the Koforidua Central Hospital.
According to him, the police could not ascertain the cause of the victim’s death and would have to wait for the autopsy report.
Source: Adomonline.com | Dorcas Abedu-Kennedy