A middle-aged man has narrated a sad sorry of how he had to cough out GH₵1,600 to save his son from dying of snake bite.
Kwabena Abraham said his son who was in a Senior High School at Sawla in the Northern region when he received a distress call that he had been bitten by snakes.
Frightened by the consequences, he ordered his guardians to rush him to the Sawla Polyclinic to be treated with anti-snake serum.
However, Mr Abraham said, his son called and told him the Sawla health facility had run out of the serum thus he has been transferred to the Wa Government Hospital.
“Eager to ensure my son is treated, I asked them to quickly rush him to Wa,” he added.
But to his surprise, his son was told there was a shortage of the anti-snake serum at the Wa Government Hospital so he had to get the vaccine from a source outside the hospital at an exorbitant price.
Mr Abraham said the hospital initially requested for two vials of the vaccines with each costing GH₵400.
A further request of two vials was made by the hospital authorities, making four to cost him GH₵1,600.
The distraught father disclosed that he had to squeeze the money to purchase the anti-snake venom from their little savings and borrowing from relatives and friends.
“I’m a poor farmer but I had to spend GH₵1,600 just to treat a common snake bite. I wonder what would have happened to my son if I didn’t have money,” Mr Abraham narrated.