Galamsey fight: Tanoso Police recount near-chaos over seized equipment [Listen]

-

Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

The Tanoso Police Command in the Ahafo Region has explained the circumstances surrounding the alleged diversion of suspected illegal mining equipment from a seized vehicle to the palace of the Ankobeahene of the Tanoso Traditional Council.

The Tanoso Police Commander, ASP Edmond Adjei Kissi, said some individuals who seize or retrieve suspected galamsey equipment sometimes fail to hand them over to the police, instead taking them to traditional authorities.

He said the practice creates tension and makes it difficult for the police to properly process cases involving illegal mining.

Speaking on Adom FM’s Dwaso Nsem morning show, ASP Kissi said the latest incident occurred on Sunday when he was informed that a vehicle loaded with suspected galamsey equipment had been intercepted at a mining site.

He said he personally went to the location and escorted the vehicle to the police station.

However, according to him, the situation took an unexpected turn after some individuals, including the Ankobeahene, Nana Amoako Atta, popularly known as Aseda Ben, allegedly took the equipment to the palace instead of the police station.

“Sometimes these people will bring the galamsey equipment and, instead of bringing it to the police station, they divert them to the chief’s palace. They go and do what they want,” he said.

ASP Kissi explained that the incident nearly resulted in a confrontation after some youth became angry with the police over the handling of the seized equipment.

“They called me that they had arrested a car with a lot of galamsey items at a site. I went there, saw the items and escorted the car to the police station,” he said.

He said he was later informed that the vehicle had been taken to the palace after the Ankobeahene and others had intervened.

“When we met the Ankobeahene, they got down, loaded the items and brought them to the palace and refused to take them to the police station,” ASP Kissi said.

According to the commander, the development angered some youth who questioned why the police had taken the vehicle to the station when they expected the equipment to be sent to the palace.

“The youth were angry that when they reported the issue and we went to the car, why did we take it to the police station instead of the palace. It almost turned into chaos, but we resolved the matter,” he said.

ASP Kissi disclosed that the matter had also attracted the attention of the Bureau of National Investigation (BNI) and the Municipal Security Committee (MUSEC) in the Tano North area.

He further revealed that the alleged ring leader behind the confrontation was arrested by the police, had his statement taken and was subsequently granted bail.

The Police Commander said the incident highlights the challenges security agencies face in dealing with illegal mining activities, particularly when seized equipment is not properly handed over for investigation and prosecution.

The development comes amid growing concerns over illegal mining in the Tanoso area, with allegations of mining activities contributing to the destruction of farmlands, forests and water bodies.

ASP Kissi said the police would continue to work with other security agencies and relevant stakeholders to tackle illegal mining while ensuring that seized equipment and suspects are handled in accordance with the law.

ALSO:

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.

Latest Posts