The National Identification Authority (NIA) has confirmed that foreign nationals, who are also citizens of Ghana, can acquire the Ghana Card which registration is currently ongoing in parts of the country.
According to the NIA “a person who is a citizen of Ghana and a citizen of another country is entitled to apply for, and be issued with, the Ghana Card. A citizen of another country may subsequently become a Ghanaian citizen after going through the requisite process of Naturalisation or Registration as provided for by law,” the NIA in a statement signed by Francis Palmdeti, Head, Corporate Affairs noted.
The inference is that Togo, Nigeria, Mali, Burkina Faso and other foreign nationals, who are also citizens of Ghana, can acquire the Ghana Card.
The clarification followed the acquisition of the Ghana Card by a Togo national which has created furore on social media.
Read the full statement below for more:
NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION AUTHORITY
14th June 2019
For immediate release
NIA REACTS TO PICTURE OF A GHANA CARD AND TOGO ID BELONGING TO WILFRIED AMENOVIDETO CIRCULATING ON SOCIAL MEDIA
The National Identification Authority (NIA) has seen on social media, a picture of a Ghana Card placed alongside a Togo National ID card, both bearing the personal details of one WILFRIED AMENOVIDETO. Some of the commentaries on the said ID card images suggest that the individual is a Togolese national and therefore not eligible to be issued with a Ghana Card as a Ghanaian citizen.
The NIA wishes to put the following facts on record for the attention of the general public:
- The Ghana Card bearing the name of Wilfried Amenovideto is genuine;
- In support of his application for the Ghana Card, Mr. W. Amenovideto submitted a Birth Certificate issued by the Births and Deaths Registry on 26th January 2018 at Aflao, with the nationality of both parents indicated on the said birth certificate as Ghanaian;
- A person who is a citizen of Ghana and a citizen of another country is entitled to apply for, and be issued with, the Ghana Card;
- A citizen of another country may subsequently become a Ghanaian citizen after going through the requisite process of Naturalisation or Registration as provided for by law.
- There are many foreigners living in Ghana who, through the Ministry for the Interior, have obtained Ghanaian citizenship either through Registration or Naturalization; and
- NIA is conducting an investigation to determine whether any person or persons have violated any applicable law in the issuance of a Ghana Card to the said Wilfried Amenovideto; The NIA wishes to assure the general public that it takes very seriously, concerns or allegations of fraudulent acquisition of the Ghana Card meant for citizens by persons who are not Ghanaians. Accordingly, the NIA is currently assisting the Ghana Police to investigate several such cases.
The prosecution of crime is not limited by time therefore any person found to have breached any relevant legal provision will be duly prosecuted.
SGND: ACI FRANCIS PALMDETI HEAD, CORPORATE AFFAIRS, NIA.