This year’s Damba Festival has been cancelled by the Dagbon Traditional Council following the death of the Overlord of Dagbon, Ya-Na Abukari Mahama II.
Announcing the decision, the head of the Dagbon Kingmakers, Naa Yeb Kug’naa Adam Abdulai, said though it was a difficult decision, it was necessary to allow the traditional area to properly mourn the death of its king and father.
Ya-Na Abukari Mahama II died on July 11, 2026, barely a month before the festival’s planned celebration.
The Council said the cancellation was in line with Dagbon custom, which requires a period of mourning to be observed following the death of a king.
“In our tradition, it is proper that we respectfully give time for Dagbon to heal from this devastating loss. To celebrate in joy while our hearts are still mourning will not be in the spirit of our customs and values,” the statement said.
The Council appealed to chiefs, Tindanbas, Imams, elders, youth and the people of Dagbon, both within and outside the Kingdom, to respect the mourning period.
It also acknowledged the disappointment the cancellation could cause travellers, businesses and cultural groups who had already made preparations for the festival, saying it understood and shared in that disappointment.
The Council said the best way to honour the late Ya-Na for now was through quiet reflection and prayer, adding that his legacy and bond with the people of Dagbon would endure. It prayed for strength for the people of Dagbon during the mourning period and for the soul of the late Ya-Na to rest in Jannah.

![Excitement abounds as Akofena donates to Asumaja community [Videos]](https://www.adomonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/08/image-867-100x70.png)




