South Africa returnees form ‘Evacuation Boys’ to support sanitation in Ghana

SourceGNA

-

Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

A group of Ghanaian evacuees from South Africa, calling themselves the “Evacuation Boys,” has pledged to support Ghana’s development by contributing to sanitation efforts and promoting a cleaner country.

Under the slogan, “Evacuation Boys; We Came Back to Give Back,” the group says its painful experiences in South Africa have strengthened its resolve to contribute to national development.

The group was among 86 Ghanaian evacuees who arrived at the Accra International Airport on Monday, August 17, 2026, under the second phase of the government’s repatriation exercise from South Africa.

With the latest arrivals, the number of Ghanaians evacuated from South Africa has risen to more than 1,700.

Leader of the Evacuation Boys, Richard Addai, who spoke on behalf of the group, said their return was more than a homecoming, describing it as an opportunity to contribute to the development of Ghana.

“We are back for good and we want to give back to our country,” he said.

Mr Addai said although members of the group had endured traumatic experiences in South Africa amid xenophobic attacks, they remained hopeful about the future.

He said they were determined to channel their experiences into something positive by supporting efforts to improve sanitation and environmental cleanliness.

“We came back to give back,” the group reiterated, signalling its intention to mobilise members for sanitation activities and other community-based initiatives.

The group has therefore appealed to the government, private sector and individuals to support its initiative and provide opportunities for its members to contribute meaningfully to national development.

Their pledge comes as the government works to ensure that the return of Ghanaians from South Africa goes beyond physical evacuation to include their successful reintegration into society.

Mr Harold Agyemang, Coordinating Director, Political and Economic Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the government had put measures in place to support the returnees as they settled back into the country.

He said the reintegration process was intended to help the evacuees rebuild their lives and regain their economic footing after the difficult circumstances that led to their return.

The government had earlier announced transportation assistance to enable returnees to travel to their respective destinations, as well as reintegration support to help them restart their lives.

Medical and psychosocial support had also been made available to the returnees, particularly in view of the trauma and distress experienced by some of them in South Africa.

The evacuation exercise followed renewed xenophobic attacks and anti-immigrant demonstrations in parts of South Africa, which raised concerns over the safety and welfare of Ghanaian nationals.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs consequently advised Ghanaians in South Africa to remain vigilant, avoid high-risk areas and stay away from protests, marches, road blockades and large public gatherings.

The government subsequently began the repatriation of citizens who wished to return home, with the first batches arriving in Ghana earlier in the exercise.

During an earlier reception for returnees, Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa said the government’s intervention was aimed not only at bringing citizens home safely but also at helping them rebuild their lives.

For the Evacuation Boys, however, the return represents more than a new beginning. They say their experiences abroad have given them a renewed appreciation of Ghana and inspired them to contribute to the communities to which they have returned.

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.

Latest Posts