Government to begin payment of compensation to Akosombo Dam spillage victims – Volta Regional Minister

-

Carbonatix Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Carbonatix

The Volta Regional Minister, James Gunu, says the government will begin the payment of compensation to victims of the 2023 Akosombo Dam spillage before the end of the year.

He said President John Dramani Mahama has directed the Finance Minister to release funds to facilitate the payments.

Speaking to Adom News, after the 3rd Volta Regional Coordinating Council meeting held at the Residence Conference Room on Thursday, August 20, 2026, Mr. Gunu said processes were underway with the Ministry of Energy and Green Transition to ensure that affected victims are duly compensated.

The Minister also announced plans to address persistent power challenges in the Volta Region.

According to him, GRIDCo is expected to establish a sub-station at Adaklu to take Ho off the Asikpe network and provide the regional capital with a more reliable and independent power supply.

He added that about 306 communities in the region are also expected to benefit from a special electricity connectivity initiative being undertaken in collaboration with the Energy Ministry.

Mr. Gunu said GRIDCo is also preparing to establish another sub-station at Ada to ease pressure on the Accra grid and improve power reliability across the region.

On industrial development, the Regional Minister said the government had secured a strategic investor for Volta Textiles Limited, with plans for the company to resume operations.

He explained that cotton would be sourced from neighbouring Benin to feed the factory and enable it to operate around the clock.

He further disclosed that the Volta Economic Corridor project was progressing, while the government was also taking steps to complete the regional cultural centre.

Development projects

Mr. Gunu said the region had recorded significant progress in various sectors since the government assumed office, citing more than 600 projects being undertaken by Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Assemblies.

He said more than 371 projects were also being implemented in senior high schools across the region.

In the water and sanitation sector, he disclosed that 184 boreholes were being drilled and mechanised, with 62 already completed and delivered.

The Minister also highlighted the government’s Big Push road projects, which are expected to improve connectivity among Ho West, Ho, Agotime-Ziope, Adaklu, Akatsi North, Ketu North and Ketu South.

He said the ongoing sea defence projects were about 40 percent complete, with the government hoping to complete several of the major projects promised to the region by 2028.

Aflao market

Mr. Gunu said preparations were also advanced for the construction of the proposed Aflao Market.
He disclosed that feasibility studies and design works had been completed and a right of entry secured for the project.

According to him, President Mahama had secured a 30-million-dollar grant from the Chinese government for the project.

He said the government was currently working with the Finance Ministry and the Local Government Ministry to secure financial commitment authorisation to commence procurement for the contractor.

The Minister said President Mahama is expected to return to the region for the sod-cutting ceremony for the Aflao Market project.

Education and healthcare

Mr. Gunu said the Regional Coordinating Council had also adopted a resolution aimed at addressing disparities in the distribution of teachers across the region.

He explained that while some communities have more teachers than needed, others continue to suffer from serious shortages.

He called on the Ghana Education Service, assemblies, community leaders, retired teachers, and student associations to support efforts to bridge the teacher gap and improve academic performance.

The Minister also commended the Mahama Care programme, saying it was helping people suffering from non-communicable diseases who could otherwise struggle to pay their medical bills.

He said reports received by the RCC indicated that beneficiaries were receiving support and families were being spared the financial burden associated with treatment.

Mr. Gunu urged residents to maintain peace and unity, stressing that stability was necessary to attract investment and accelerate development in the Volta Region.

READ ALSO:

Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of autistic student at BOGISS

Ntotroso-Tano bridge to reopen after eight years as government targets September completion

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.

Latest Posts