Your leftover rice can cause food poisoning if you don’t do this

0

Time and again you might have read about the benefits of eating leftover rice. Right from helping in constipation to the reduction in body heat, eating leftover rice is said to have umpteen health benefits. But you will be surprised to know that consuming leftover rice can also make you sick if you do not take the necessary precautions.

Yes, this is true. Probably we all must have had reheated rice, without even realising that it can make you really sick. As per the National Health Service (NHS) of England, eating reheated rice can cause food poisoning. However, it is not the reheating of rice that causes the problem, but the way the food is stored after it is cooked.

How is it harmful?

As per the healthcare system, the uncooked rice often contains spores of Bacillus cereus – a bacteria which can cause food poisoning. The bacteria grow quickly and can survive even when the rice is cooked.

If the rice is left standing for too long at room temperature after it is cooked, then the spores can grow into bacteria. The bacteria grow rapidly and can produce toxins which can cause food poisoning.

It is very essential to know that the longer you leave your rice after it is cooked, the more unsafe it becomes for consumption.

What to do?

So, if you have cooked a lot of rice and cannot consume it all at once, do not throw it away. You can store it for the next day safely by following a few simple steps.

As per the NHS, first of all, serve rice as soon as it is cooked. Secondly, if you are left with a lot of rice, then store it as soon as it cooldowns, ideally within 1 hour.

You can keep the rice in your refrigerator but only for a day before reheating. Also try not to reheat it more than once.

Also while reheating the rice, make sure that your utensil is steaming hot. By following these steps the bacteria will not get a chance to grow and your leftover rice will be safe to consume.

SHARE