Victoria – Adomonline.com https://www.adomonline.com Your comprehensive news portal Tue, 09 Apr 2024 11:54:49 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.8.3 https://www.adomonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/cropped-Adomonline140-32x32.png Victoria – Adomonline.com https://www.adomonline.com 32 32 Commonwealth Games: 2026 event in doubt after Victoria cancels https://www.adomonline.com/commonwealth-games-2026-event-in-doubt-after-victoria-cancels/ Tue, 09 Apr 2024 11:54:37 +0000 https://www.adomonline.com/?p=2378848 The 2026 Commonwealth Games are in doubt after the Australian state of Victoria cancelled its plans to host due to budget blowouts.

The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) struggled to find a host before Victoria volunteered in April 2022.

But the premier said the projected cost had now tripled and become “well and truly too much” for the state to bear.

The CGF called the decision “hugely disappointing” and said it is “committed to finding a solution”.

The Commonwealth Games are a multi-sport tournament that take place every four years. They have only ever been cancelled during World War Two.

To be eligible to participate in the games, competitors must be from one of over 70 nations or territories – many of which were once part of the British Empire.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said on Tuesday that his state had been “happy to help out” when approached to host last year, but “not at any price”.

Downing Street said the cancellation was “disappointing” for fans and athletes.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s spokesman said the UK government hoped “a viable solution” could be found by the Australian authorities and the CGF.

He rejected a claim the move was a sign of the decline of the Commonwealth as a whole, suggesting the King’s coronation showed “the strength of the Commonwealth and commitment of countries to it”.

Organisers had originally estimated the event – hosted across cities including Geelong, Bendigo and Ballarat – would cost A$2.6bn (£1.4bn; $1.8bn) and the state government had billed it as a boost for the regions.

But now the 12-day tournament was expected to cost more than A$6 billion (£3.13bn; $4.09bn), Mr Andrews said, adding that the new figure was “more than twice the estimated economic benefit” it would bring to Victoria.

“I’ve made a lot of difficult calls, a lot of very difficult decisions in this job. This is not one of them,” he told a press conference.

“That is all cost and no benefit.”

The government will still complete the stadium upgrades it had promised ahead of the games, while using the money it is now saving on housing and tourism initiatives.

Mr Andrew said the government had considered “every option” including moving the games to Melbourne, before informing CGF of their decision.

“Amicable and productive” meetings had occurred in London overnight, he added.

But in a statement on Tuesday, the governing body said they were blindsided by the decision.

“We are disappointed that we were only given eight hours’ notice and that no consideration was given to discussing the situation to jointly find solutions,” it said in a statement.

CGF said the estimate of A$6bn is double the figure they were advised of at a board meeting last month, and that the increase in costs were due to the “unique regional delivery model” that Victoria chose for the games.

The government had made decisions to include more sports and changed plans for venues, often against the advice of the CGF and its Australian arm, all of which added “considerable expense”, it said.

Victorian Opposition Leader John Pesutto said the decision is a “massive humiliation” for the state, and “hugely damaging” for its reputation as a global events leader.

The chief executive of Commonwealth Games Australia agreed, saying the cited cost blowout was a “gross exaggeration” and that it would try to find another Australian host for the 2026 games.

Meanwhile, athletes have expressed frustration at the cancellation of the games, which many view as a valuable training ground ahead of the Olympics.

Delicious Orie, a super-heavyweight boxer who won gold for England at the 2022 games, told the BBC he was “devastated” by the news, adding that the event had put him on the “right trajectory” to further success.

“It was my first multi-sport event and it replicated the Olympics and the Olympic Games in how it operates,” he recalled.

“The media coverage and everything was just perfect for me and it set me up nicely for what I’ve got coming up next year and so on; its just put me in a very good position.”

The games also host several non-Olympic sports, such as netball. Ex-England captain Ama Agbeze predicted that the cancellation could have a serious impact on sports like hers.

“I think probably the sport will lose lots of people who potentially would go on to play at the top level, but also who would start playing at grassroots level,” she said.

“Obviously if there is an impact at grassroots level that impacts the top level anyway, so all around it’s detrimental for the game.”

Aled Sion Davies, who won Commonwealth gold for Wales in the discus at Birmingham last year, said the news is “heartbreaking”.

Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson, whose glittering career saw her win 11 Paralympic gold medals, said the Commonwealth Games are something special to be part of, adding it is “important we do not lose” them.

People from the Victorian capital, Melbourne, have had a mixed reaction to the decision.

One woman, Lauren Rogers, said she was disappointed with the decision as she thought the games would bring more money into the state, and another, Kayley Martinez said she thought “Victoria would be such a great host of the games”.

But another man, David, said he was “relieved” by the decision to not host them in Victoria.

“They build a lot of infrastructure that then doesn’t get used later… I’m happy for the government to be able to change its mind sometimes if something’s blown out its budget,” he told the BBC.

Australia has held the Commonwealth Games five times – including on the Gold Coast in 2018 and in the Victorian capital of Melbourne in 2006 – but all of the country’s states on Tuesday ruled out picking up the event.

New Zealand authorities also say they will not take on the games.

Organisers have had great difficulty finding viable tournament hosts in recent years.

The South African city of Durban was originally set to stage the 2022 games, but were stripped of hosting rights in 2017 after running into money troubles and missing key deadlines. Birmingham agreed to host nine months later.

CGF had originally hoped to name a host for the 2026 games in 2019, but several hopeful bidders withdrew from the process due to cost concerns, leaving it unable to lock in Victoria as the hosts until 2022.

]]>
I didn’t intend to kill her – Policeman who shot lover multiple times tells court https://www.adomonline.com/i-didnt-intend-to-kill-her-policeman-who-shot-lover-multiple-times-tells-court/ Tue, 25 Apr 2023 13:32:21 +0000 https://www.adomonline.com/?p=2242864 An Inspector of the Ghana Police Service accused of using a service pistol to shoot and kill his girlfriend at Adum in Kumasi says he had no intention of killing his lover.

Inspector Ahmed Twumasi, sobbing and shedding tears, told the Asokore Mampong District Court only God knows what happened on the day of the incident.

He is said to have shot 26-year-old Victoria Dapaah, also known as Maadwoa, multiple times.

Police prosecution told the court the accused demanded a refund of Gh5,000 he allegedly paid the deceased to settle an issue between the two in the presence of a female friend.

Nhyira FM’s Ohemeng Tawiah, who was in court, reports relatives of the deceased broke down in tears as prosecution read details of the case on events leading to the shooting.

Some of them threatened to accost the suspect who was whisked away by security after the day’s proceedings.

]]>
Toosweet Annan punches actress Victoria Lebene for saying he’s a womanizer https://www.adomonline.com/toosweet-annan-punches-actress-victoria-lebene-saying-hes-womanizer/ Thu, 17 Aug 2017 08:23:21 +0000 http://35.232.176.128/ghana-news/?p=401671 Actor and model Toosweet Annan has reacted to a claim by his colleague, Victoria Lebene that he is a womanizer.
Miss Lebene on Celebrity Ride With Zionfelix posited that Mr. Annan is a womanizer and would not love to have such a guy in her life.
The photo model who chuckled after Zionfelix, host of the show mentioned Toosweet Annan as one of the male stars she can crush on added that he also has a lot of women around him. When asked if her comment meant Toosweet Annan is a philanderer, she hurriedly answered: “oh yes”.
The actor on the same show has denied the claim by Victoria Lebene stating that ladies rather chase him. Toosweet was shocked to hear that he’s been tagged as a womanizer because “I’ve never proposed to her (Victoria) before so I don’t know why she is accusing me of that”
Zylofon Toosweet Annan
“It is ladies who rather love me or I first show interest in them?” he asked.
He explained that countless ladies chase him is as a result of his celebrity status so people should not be surprised if he makes such a statement.
Toosweet who told Zonfelix, host of the show that he has a four-year old daughter continued that he hardly entertain guys around him because of past experiences so he is mostly seen around ladies and that might also contribute to the perception people have that he is a playboy.
Watch Toosweet Annan on Celebrity Ride With Zionfelix below:

]]>
I’ve not had sex for three years – Victoria Lebene https://www.adomonline.com/ive-not-sex-three-years-victoria-lebene/ Tue, 08 Aug 2017 06:46:05 +0000 http://35.232.176.128/ghana-news/?p=370801 Victoria Lebene has said she does not enjoy sex.
According to her, she has not had sex for the past three years while she dated veteran Kofi Adjorlolo.
“I never had sex with Kofi. I actually don’t like sex. I was waiting until we get married before I engage in sex but that wasn’t to be,” she told Zionfelix.
When asked if she could tell the number of times she would want to have sex, the Ghanaian diva said “no, I can’t tell but I actually don’t like sex”.
The Diva disclosed that she is currently saving towards purchasing her favourite car a Range Rover and also start her cosmetics company in the future.

]]>
Victoria Lebene madly in love with me because I am still romantic at my age – Kofi Adjorlolo https://www.adomonline.com/victoria-lebene-madly-love-still-romantic-age-kofi-adjorlolo/ Thu, 20 Apr 2017 12:15:48 +0000 http://ghana-news.adomonline.com/new/?p=86111 Ghanaian veteran actor, Kofi Adjorlolo in an interview with radio and TV host, Kofi Adoma Nwanwani has revealed a lot of things which had been hiding from the public for quite long.

Not too long ago, there was a fierce pressure mounted on Adjololo by Counselor Lutherodt calling for a halt in the veteran actor’s intimate relationship with 27 years old model known as Victoria Lebene.

As a result, entertainment pundits and enthusiasts were eager to hear from Kofi Adjorlolo pertaining to the the concern raised by some Ghanaians to quit his relationship looking at their age interval.

Shockingly, Adjorlolo in the interview expressed his dying love for Victoria Lebene as inseparable no matter the attacks by the public especially Counselor Lutherodt.

More importantly, he expressed his dying love for his parents although both are no more. But he was of the view that he give thanks to God because they could live to see his acting career flourishing. Although, he failed to reveal his real name to the public when asked by the interviwer, Kofi Adoma Nwanwani of Multimedia fame.

When asked if he’s a womanizer as a section of Ghanaians do believe as a result of the recent happenings in his relationship life. He replied, “I love and respect women down to earth as a result of the pains they go through in their labour. Aside, I’ve worked as a midwife in my life. Therefore, If you maltreat a woman in my sight, I won’t forgive you at all taking into consideration the food they prepare and all that which comes with womanhood”.

Lest I forgot, mentioning his favourite musicians in the country thrown his full support to the self-acclaimed dancehall king, Shatta Wale. Aside, he made mention of other contemporary acts like Sarkodie, Stonebwoy, Edem, others as artistes he loves listening to.

]]>