victim – Adomonline.com https://www.adomonline.com Your comprehensive news portal Thu, 02 May 2024 12:35:09 +0000 en-US hourly 1 https://wordpress.org/?v=6.8.3 https://www.adomonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/cropped-Adomonline140-32x32.png victim – Adomonline.com https://www.adomonline.com 32 32 More details on soldier killed in Millennium City shooting https://www.adomonline.com/more-details-on-soldier-killed-in-millennium-city-shooting/ Wed, 01 May 2024 22:11:53 +0000 https://www.adomonline.com/?p=2388768 It has emerged that the military officer shot dead during a land encroachment dispute at Millinnium City, Kasoa is a Lance Corporal identified as Danso Michael.

In a surprising twist, the deceased is not the owner of the plot of land which was in dispute, which ultimately led to his death.

Rather, he accompanied his colleague, one L/Cpl Omar Abdul Rahman to the site after he was informed of some persons working on the land.

They were in the company of another colleague identified as L/Cpl Ametus Matthew when they visited the land and confirmed the information.

The deceased, per a statement by the Ghana Armed Forces, stopped the people from working and together with the land owner proceeded to the Millennium City Police Station to report the issue.

Whilst at the Police Station, the acclaimed owner of the land arrived with 2 others believed to be land guards and confronted the soldiers during which they started firing.

At the time the deceased was killed, preliminary investigations suggests that he was going to park a vehicle at the police station.

He was hit multiple times by the rounds fired by suspect Benlord Ababio, and he succumbed to his injuries at the Mother and Child Hospital.

Meanwhile, the police disarmed and arrested the firer after realizing L/Cpl Danso had been hit by the rounds fired.

The body of the deceased soldier has since been deposited at the 37 Military Hospital morgue.

]]>
Man dragged on the ground by policeman gives chilling account https://www.adomonline.com/man-dragged-on-the-ground-by-policeman-gives-chilling-account/ Sat, 29 Jul 2023 13:08:55 +0000 https://www.adomonline.com/?p=2278180 Justice Afram, an alleged thief captured in a viral video being dragged on the ground by the police during an arrest, has spoken on the matter.

The 23-year-old has revealed missing iron rods accounted for his inhumane ordeal though he knew nothing about it.

Speaking on Asempa FM’s Ekosii Sen, he revealed he was held responsible because he had earlier taken iron rods from a place he went to work with his master.

“My master confronted me and I admitted taking them and he questioned why I didn’t ask permission but another man also came to claim his iron rods were missing and I should be held liable because of the previous incident with my boss which had been settled long ago,” he recounted.

Narrating the harrowing experience, Justice said he is currently in severe pain and unable to do anything by himself.

He stated he has currently been released and is at home with his family.

“I was taken to the Akotosu police station where I was beaten with a cutlass. I now can’t get up and my brother was even the one who bathed me today,” he disclosed.

Mr Afram further indicated he was taken to the Mampong hospital for treatment but was only given paracetamol and anti-malaria drug after his blood sample was taken.

ALSO READ:

]]>
Woman attacked by robbers at Dansoman breaks silence [Listen] https://www.adomonline.com/woman-attacked-by-robbers-at-dansoman-breaks-silence-listen/ Tue, 24 May 2022 16:02:28 +0000 https://www.adomonline.com/?p=2117845 The victim of a daylight armed robbery attack at Dansoman in Accra on Sunday, May 22 has for the first time described her ordeal.

Speaking in an interview, Ama [pseudo name] said she was going to visit her relatives when she was attacked by the robbers.

“I went to church yesterday and after church, I decided to go and visit my family members who live close to my church at Exhibition (a suburb of Dansoman). On my way to my family’s house, a motorbike turned in front of my house. Immediately it turned, the second person on the motor jumped off and attacked” she said.

Due to her valuables, Ama said she tried to struggle with the robber who dragged her on the floor and also cut her with a sharp metallic object.

ALSO READ:

Assistant headmaster allegedly rapes SHS final year student

“Because of the valuables I had in my bag including my phone and some money, I tried my possible best to stop him but he hit my hand with a shape metallic object which forced me to let go of the bag,” she said in Twi.

Listen to her in the video below

]]>
Suhum-NPP clash: Man slashed in the head at funeral speaks https://www.adomonline.com/suhum-npp-clash-man-slashed-in-the-head-at-funeral-speaks/ Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:08:57 +0000 https://www.adomonline.com/?p=2007982 The 51-year-old Bernard Amoani, who was slashed in the head during a funeral in the Suhum Constituency of the Eastern Region, has recounted what happened.

Mr Amoani has revealed he arrived at the funeral with one Sammy Darko at almost 4:00 pm because he went for his in-law’s funeral at Ahwerase.

According to him, he was in a hurry to leave but stayed after they had information that one ‘Protozoa’ from the Presidency will be in attendance, hence they had to go and greet the bereaved family with him.

Recounting the incident on Adom FM’s Dwaso Nsem show, he stated the funeral went on smoothly until the Suhum Member of Parliament(MP), Boafo Kwadwo Asante, arrived.

“I am a polling station organiser at Asamankese so as the order of the day had been, we decided to escort the MP to greet as party communicators but were stopped because they said they didn’t know us,” he narrated.

Following the development, Mr Amoani stated one of their members went to announce their departure from the funeral, a situation which did not sit well with some supporters and led to the melee.

“When the fight broke out, I cautioned them to stop since our opponents were present and could use it against us but my pleas fell on deaf ears.

“I was trying my best to ensure law and order when suddenly, someone slashed my forehead. Though blood was oozing, I run after the car but the other mourners chased and got hold of me,” he added.

ALSO READ:

He further explained he did not see anything again until he was rushed to the Suhum Government Hospital where he was treated and discharged on Sunday.

Another person, Alexander Odei, he noted, sustained a minor injury on his upper lip.

“I was very broken and sad while I laid on the hospital bed because the MP did not even show up and I haven’t heard from him but Protozoa came there twice. If not for anything, the fact that I am a party supporter should have made the MP come around,” he said sadly.

]]>
Man undergoes surgery after military brutality in Wa [Photos+Video] https://www.adomonline.com/man-undergoes-surgery-after-military-brutality-in-wa-photosvideo/ Sat, 03 Jul 2021 18:17:22 +0000 https://www.adomonline.com/?p=1982058 A 29-year-old man, who was allegedly assaulted by rampaging soldiers in Wa, has undergone surgery at the Upper West Regional Hospital.

Gafur Mahama developed a fracture in his right thigh bone which required the service of an orthopaedic surgeon.

He was referred to the regional hospital from the Wa Municipal Hospital where he was first admitted on Thursday, July 1.

Mr Mahama was inside a sports betting centre when he heard a loud noise from outside and decided to come out to see what was happening.

He was pounced on by a handful of the rampaging soldiers who beat him to a pulp.

Wa attack: Man assaulted by soldiers undergoes surgery after fracturing thigh bone

He was rushed to the Wa Municipal Hospital for medical attention.

After an hour at the hospital, he regained his conscience but could not walk; neither could he sit up, let alone stand up.

A careful assessment showed marks of assault on his entire body.

RELATED:

Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Robert Amessiya. explained to JoyNews‘ Upper West Regional Correspondent why it was important for the victim to undergo the surgery.

Wa attack: Man assaulted by soldiers undergoes surgery after fracturing thigh bone

He was successfully operated on and wheeled into the theatre on Saturday morning to continue his recovery process.

Dr Amessiya revealed that he will require at least three months to recover fully.

The cost of the surgery is not yet known but it will be borne by the Ghana Armed Forces.

]]>
Family of assaulted Marwako worker happy with judgement https://www.adomonline.com/family-assaulted-marwako-worker-happy-judgement/ Wed, 02 Aug 2017 16:52:42 +0000 http://35.232.176.128/ghana-news/?p=356231 The brother of assaulted Marwako Restaurant caterer, says justice has been served his sister, Evelyn Boakye after the High court handed a nine-month jail term to the Abelemkpe branch Manager for assault offense.
Kobby Ofori said even though she could not make it to the court on Wednesday when the judgment was announced because she has a doctor’s appointment to check on her eyes.
“When I told her of the court outcome she was happy and in tears. She was excited that Ghanaians and the whole world know the truth about what happened to her.
“She was humiliated with all the stigma and pain and the pronouncement of the judgment is going to soothe her pain,” he said.
The Abeka District Court on Wednesday, sentenced the Marwarko restaurant Supervisor, Jihad Chaaban to nine months imprisonment for assaulting one of the workers.
The court found him guilty of unlawfully causing harm and assault but found him not guilty of offensive conduct conducive to breach of peace.
In February 2017, there were reports that Mr Chaaban assaulted Evelyn Boakye by grabbing her neck and forced her face into a jar of blended pepper.
According to the prosecution, he accused her of fidgeting with the blender.
He was charged with the offensive conduct by calling the victim a prostitute and intentionally and unlawfully, causing harm and assault.
Three other employees who were present as their colleague was being maltreated were said to have looked on helplessly due to threats from the supervisor to dismiss anyone who came close.
He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
But the ruling handed down by Magistrate Victoria Ghansah found him guilty of assault and causing harm to the caterer.
Although there had earlier been a case of out of court settlement, the Magistrate rejected the terms saying an out-of-court settlement is a civil matter, which has not been brought before her.
She said the case under her jurisdiction is a criminal matter and proceeded to deliver her judgment on the substantive matter.
According to the victim’s brother, the two parties came to an agreement on the compensation with the help of the Labour Commission and Employment Ministry.
Although he said they were compensated, he will not disclose how much to the media because of the terms of the agreement.
He said they were at a loss why Mr Chaaban’s lawyer confused the criminal case between him and the state, with the compensation in the civil case.
Regarding the appeal concerns raised by the counsel for the jailed Supervisor, Mr Ofori said, “the prosecution was able to close the case beyond reasonable doubt to merit any appeal.”
“Maybe they might have fresh evidence, that I can’t tell,” he added.
He said the family wants the doctors to clear Ms Boakye on her condition so she goes back to school.

]]>
Marwako victim opts for out-of-court settlement https://www.adomonline.com/marwako-victim-opts-court-settlement/ Wed, 26 Jul 2017 13:43:21 +0000 http://35.232.176.128/ghana-news/?p=332561 Evelyn Boakye, the kitchen staff of Marwako Fast Foods Limited whose face was allegedly dipped into a paste of blended pepper by her supervisor, Jihad Chaaban, has opted for an out-of-court settlement.
The Abeka District Court has therefore adjourned the delivery of its judgment in the assault case to Wednesday, August 2, 2017.
The Magistrate Victoria Ghansah said she got notice of the out-of-court settlement on Monday, July 24 and so would want to settle the details before delivering her judgment.
Magistrate Ghansah adjourned hearing to August 2, to decide whether the court will grant the request.
Jihad Chaaban, a Supervisor at the Marwako Restaurant, on February 28, this year, allegedly grabbed the neck of Evelyn Boakye angrily and dipped her face into a full jar of blended pepper.
He reportedly accused her of fidgeting with the blender and working slowly.
Ms Boakye was an employee at the Abelenkpe Branch of Marwako Restaurant.
Chaaban has been charged with offensive conduct by calling the victim a prostitute and intentionally and unlawfully causing harm and assault.
Chaaban has, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges.

]]>
I survived on loans after June 3 disaster – Victim https://www.adomonline.com/survived-loans-june-3-disaster-victim/ Sat, 03 Jun 2017 15:25:45 +0000 http://35.232.176.128/ghana-news/?p=150451 A victim of the June 3 fire and flood disaster, Derick Appiah has revealed that he has survived on loans since the incident destroyed his business two years ago.

He explained how he lost all his properties and business equipment to the tragic incident that resulted in the death of more than 150 people.

Appiah, who sells fresh fruit juice drink close to the fuel station that exploded, noted that he has had no form of assistance from government.

He stated that his business survived because of the benevolence of his bank which gave him a loan to restart the business.

“I did not get even a pesewa from any government agency, a lot of people say they [government] have been giving money to people but we got loan from a bank that we save with. We explained what happened and they [the bank] also saw for themselves what happened on TV so they granted us the loan and we have been paying since that time. We have not been able to finish paying,” he lamented

Appiah bemoaned the negative impact the disaster has had on his business suggesting that his returns has decreased compared to what he used to get before the incident.

He added, “after the disaster, it’s the loan which helped us to purchase all the machines to restart the business. Business hasn’t been the same again because a lot of people have not been using the route, we face a lot of challenges.”

Appiah, who incurred some degree of injury due to the fire, managed to survive by climbing a tree nearby.

The country was thrown into a state of grief after torrential rains on June 3, 2015 and an inferno claimed the lives of more than 150 people at Kwame Nkrumah Circle.

]]>
We won’t stop pursuing Marwako assault case- Labour and Employment Minister https://www.adomonline.com/wont-stop-pursuing-marwako-assault-case-labour-employment-minister/ Fri, 17 Mar 2017 19:50:49 +0000 http://ghana-news.adomonline.com/new/?p=32841 Employment and Labour Relations Minister, Ignatius Baffour Awuah has reiterated that the government will not relent on its effort to make sure that justice is served in the Marwako ‘pepper’ assault case.

26-year-old Abelemkpe Branch Manager of Marwako Restaurant Jihad Chabaan who is accused of assaulting Evelyn Boakye, a caterer at the restaurant has been granted a bail of 20,000 Cedis with two sureties by the Abeka District Court.

The supervisor at the Abelemkpe branch of the Restaurant has been charged with assault for allegedly dipping the face of female employee into pepper.

Some people in the public domain stressed that government shows apathy towards similar cases whenever they are cornered out of the mainstream media causing the matter to disappear like it never occurred.

But the Minister in response said, his government iS very keen on the matter and not ready to let sleeping dogs lie.

“I am so keen about it. Management is meeting this morning and I don’t think we can go beyond one more week; we are having a little bit difficulty because both parties aren’t that easy to reach but we have to get to the bottom of this. We will…” he said on Accra-based Neat FM.

Mr Baffour Awuah further disclosed that, there is an ongoing interim report which requires further documentation to open the personal files of the various employers to check their personal files together with their terms of engagement with the foreign company.

According to the minister, he wishes to be given a period of one week to finish his labor-related investigations by the executive team he organized.

“I have the interim report which requires further documentation. The investigation is not complete. Workers personal file to know the terms of engagement. I gave my team one week to finalize the labor-related investigations into the Marwako incidence.” He maintained.

source: Ghana/Adomonline.com/Dennis Kofi Adu

]]>