The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration has expressed disappointment at the decision of the United States authorities to implement visa sanctions on Ghana.
The USA has imposed the restrictions for the alleged lack of adequate cooperation in accepting Ghanaian nationals who have popped-up for deportation from the United States.
The Ministry in a statement copied to Adomonline.com said it has always cooperated with the US authorities in the processing and removal of Ghanaian citizens who have been cited for deportation from the US to Ghana.
“As is the requirement and accordance with international law, the Ghana Embassy in Washington DC undertakes identification and verification processes to ensure that all persons earmarked for deportation to Ghana are bonafide citizens of Ghana,” the statement said.
According to the Ministry, as at 8th January 2019, the Washington Mission had received twenty-eight (28) applications from the US out of which 19 had been interviewed by the Embassy and eleven (11) travelling certificates issued for their travel to Ghana.
Those outstanding, the ministry noted are as a result of doubts on their Ghanaian nationality, ill health and pending litigation in US courts.
Read full statement below:
However, Deputy Information Minister, Pius Hadzide on Adom FM’s Morning Show “Dwaso Nsem” Monday says the government is ready to pay the price of the visa sanctions slapped on Ghana.
He also expressed shock that the US authorities could ignore the international protocols that need to be observed in matters of deportation and make allegations of lack cooperation by Ghana.